Law Soc: IPOS News, 2 June 2020
Publisher: Law Society
Effective: 02 Jun 2020
Circulars on Legislative Amendments
IPOS has issued a circular on legislative amendments to all IP Subsidiary Legislation regarding the following:
- To provide the Registrar with the power to unilaterally grant extensions of time to parties during special circumstances.
- Amendments to default and alternative communication modes for filing or serving of documents to the Registrar or another party.
Please refer to the circulars for the respective IP below:
Registries Practice Direction No. 3 of 2020
IPOS issued a new Registries Practice Direction on 2 June 2020 to update on the following:
- FormSG will be introduced as an alternative filing and/or submission mode for Patents, Trade Marks, Registered Designs, Plant Varieties Protection, and Geographical Indications with effect from 5 June 2020.
- The Registrar will continue to accept hardcopy submissions (e.g. by hand, post, facsimile) for Patents, Trademarks, and Registered Designs until 15 June 2020.
- From 16 June 2020, the Registrar will only accept submissions for Patents, Trade Marks, and Registered Designs via FormSG as an alternative to IP2SG.
The new Registries Practice Direction took effect on 5 June 2020. For details, refer to the Practice Direction here.
IP2SG Practice Direction No. 1 of 2020 will supersede IP2SG Practice Direction No. 2 of 2019 and took effect on 5 June 2020. For details, refer to the new IP2SG Practice Direction here.
Patents Circular No. 4 of 2020
With effect from 29 June 2020, applicants will receive an allocation of filing date within 12 hours when the patent specification in the request for grant of patent (Patents Form 1) is filed in DOCX format and the request meets a set of predetermined criteria.
This initiative provides applicants with a new option of filing patent specification in DOCX format in addition to PDF. DOCX documents enable IPOS to deploy new technologies to make the patents filing process and patent searching faster and simpler.
Refer to the circular here.
From 5 June 2020, party-to-party service in contentious proceedings may be effected by way of electronic means e.g. email and file-sharing platforms, with the consent of the receiving party.
IP Mediation Success Case
There is a new mediation success case on the IPOS website from the Singapore Mediation Centre relating to infringement of trade mark.
Members may also refer to the mediation option for IPOS proceedings and the funding available under the Enhanced Mediation Promotion Scheme.